Hi everyone, welcome to another speed video!
Today I’m playing with Prismacolor colored pencils. I don’t have any paints because of our recent move to Fairbanks. However, I did travel with my colored pencils and a sketchbook and this is me trying to get back into things.
It was mostly to get my hands moving again, but it evolved into this scene. It’s inspired by the beautiful Alaskan and Yukon landscape during my cross-country drive. I was particularly inspired by the clouds, so you’ll see that I spend a lot of time on that portion, which made the it look more polished than the rest of the drawing.
Although I didn’t have much of a plan, once I started with the Prismacolors, I had 3 goals:
- Get back into drawing and feel the flow of laying down colors and lines again.
- Practice blending with these colored pencils. During some research I discovered a new technique: blending with rubbing alcohol! It was really exciting, so I can’t wait to do more of it.
- Test out this sketch pad that I’ve had since high school. It’s not the highest of quality but I’m looking to compare how Prismacolor colored pencils work with various grades of papers. You can be sure that I will be posting more videos about this (different paper has been purchased and ready to roll).
As you can see the finished product isn’t as sharp and clean as it could be. This is because 1) I haven’t drawn or painted in months 2) The low quality paper made blending difficult and 3) I didn’t have much of a plan… but future ones will look better! I promise.
Until next time,
- Prismacolor colored pencil drawing of “Lana Del Rey” by “Heather Rooney” (jenamano.wordpress.com)
- Illustration markers that glide like butter! (be-lured.com)